In this family, we bleed blue

Happy Wednesday Friends!  I have been MIA here on the blog lately.  We have had a pretty busy couple of weeks, and unfortunately blogging had to take a bit of a back seat.  


Today I wanted to share something that has been really heavy on my heart.  And not just mine, but my family and our state.  Our great state suffered the murder of a Police Officer in the line of duty since the 1980's.  This hit really close to home for all of us.  My family may not have known this officer personally, but in this line of work, we are all family.  My dad has been a police officer since 1982.  I became a dispatcher in 2002, met my husband who is a police officer, and now I work at our local Police Department. 

We didn't and we don't sugar coat things on what happened to him with Emma and Alyx.  Some may not agree, and think it's too much for a kid to know, but it's reality in our family.  They both know, and have really always known since they were both really little that there is always a possibility that something could happen to Brian while he is at work.  Unfortunately that's part of the job.  But when it happened so close to home, it was hard for all of us to grasp.  We always see and hear about it on the news, and then it happens here and it's like your whole world just stops.  

A couple of days after all of this happened, and they had finally caught the person that murdered him, did I mention they went on a 5 day manhunt looking for the suspect?   They finally found him and what relief it was for all of us.
 Emma went to school and asked her home room teacher if they could make cards for the Sheriffs Office.  And they did just that.  She came home from school and told us that she got her entire 6th grade class to make cards, and I wanted to cry.  I was and am so incredibly proud of her for taking this on.


These were the cards.  I sat and read each and everyone of them.  And as I read them, I cried.
The day after they made them I was contacted by a local TV station.  I guess someone had seen my photo I posted on Facebook and they wanted to do a little story on Emma.
She was SO nervous, but she did incredibly well.
This girl has a heart like no other.  


The secretary at the school sent me this photo.  Emma asked a friend of hers to come and sit with her while they interviewed her to help her not be so nervous.
I'm beyond proud of this kid.

Sunday evening I spent the evening getting Brian's dress uniform ready.  I've got it ready before for a police funeral for an officer who passed away from medical reasons, but never for an officer that was murdered.


It was emotional putting it together.  Putting the black mourning band on his badge is probably the most heartbreaking.  Seeing all of the guys at work the last week wearing them as well, pulls on your heartstrings.

Monday morning was the funeral.  I knew it was going to be big.  They held it at an auditorium that holds 14,000 people.  I went with 10 officers from the Department I work for and Brian.





The amount of Officers that attended was astonishing.  There were literally thousands of uniformed officers.

Brian sat with all of the uniformed LE Officers, and I had no idea where I was going to sit.  I finally found a spot, and realized I was sitting in the mix of FBI agents dressed in black and white suits.  I guess I was safe!

The service was very emotional.  And by far the nicest funeral service I have ever attended.


Seeing all of the officers together, in uniform was amazing.  The brotherhood they have is unlike any other.


At the front of the rows of chairs they had the Officers patrol truck.  The same truck he was killed outside of, and then stolen.  It was an eerie feeling.

The service then brought us outside.  They had a flyover and then the 21 gun salute.



There were officers from every New England State, and they even came as far as California and Alaska.

It was an honor and a privilege to be able to attend Cpl. Cole's funeral service.  While I hope this is something that I never have to see again, it was truly amazing to witness in person.


No comments