Recipe Club {Penne a la Betsy}

Happy Wednesday Friends!  

I have taken a little bit of a blogging break, but I am back and today is one of my favorite link-ups with Heather, our Recipe Club!  

So if you have a recipe to share today, grab our graphic and link up below =) 

Back a few years ago I made a recipe from the Pioneer Woman.  Penne a la Betsy.  I tweaked it a bit and kind of made it my own, only because I didn't have some of the ingredients on hand that the recipe required.  This is by far Emma's absolute favorite meal that I make.  She likes a lot of things I make, but on any given day if I were to ask her what she wants for dinner she would say "that pioneer woman pasta thing!" ha! =) 

So mind you, this is the Ree Drummonds recipe, but we've tweaked it to make it our own.  

On this particular night, I got a bit side tracked and forgot to take pictures while I was making it, but this will at least give you the idea.


So if you want to find the original recipe, you can click here.  In her recipe she uses shrimp.  I love shrimp and everyone in my house does too, but when we make this recipe we use chicken.
 Here is the recipe:

1 Box of Penne Pasta, Cooked Al Dente
2 chicken breasts, chopped
1 Tablespoon Butter
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1 cup Diced onion
2 cloves Garlic, minced
3/4 cups White Wine
1 8oz Can Tomato Sauce
1 Cup Heavy Cream 
1 bag of fresh Spinach
Salt & Pepper to taste

Heat butter and oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Add chopped chicken and cook.  Remove them from the heat.  

To same skillet, add the onion and garlic and saute, stirring occasionally for 3 minutes.  After the garlic pour in the wine and let it reduce for a few minutes, stirring occasionally.  You can always substitute the wine for chicken broth.

Add the tomato sauce and stir well until combined.  Cook for approx 3 minutes, then stir in the heavy cream.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Add the chicken, and then turn heat down to low and simmer for a couple of minutes.  
Stir in the pasta and combine well and then add the entire bag of spinach.  It may seem like a lot, but it cooks down fast.

And then Serve!


This dish is full of flavor and just deliciousness!  And overall it's pretty simple to make.

I hope you all have a great Wednesday!!