Red Pepper Jelly Recipe

Last week I stumbled upon a recipe for homemade Red Pepper jelly.  If you've never had this, it's delicious.  I grew up with my mom buying it at Craft fairs and stores.  Usually we had the Stonewall Kitchen brand which is really good.  She would always put it out with cream cheese and crackers on Holidays.  Thanksgiving and Christmas time the most.  So when I found this recipe, I had to make it.  And i'm so glad I did!

This recipe was super easy to follow and didn't take hardly anytime to make. 

Ingredients:

3 cups finely chopped red bell pepper
1 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
1/4 cup finely chopped jalapeno pepper
1 cup apple cider vinegar
2 (1.75 ounce) packages Sure-Jell powder pectin
5 cups white sugar

Place the red peppers, green peppers and jalapeno peppers into a large saucepan over high heat.  Mix in the apple cider vinegar and Sure-Jell pectin.  Bring the mixture to a rolling boil while stirring constantly.  Then, quickly stir in the sugar.  Return to a boil and boil for one minute.  Remove from heat.  Skim off any foam on top. 
Quickly ladle the jelly into your jars, filling each to 1/4 inch from the top.  Cover with flat lids and then screw on the bands tightly.  

I chose not to process the jars.  You certainly can if you want the jelly to have a longer shelf life.  This will keep fine in the refrigerator for up to a month.  



Serve the pepper jelly atop a block of cream cheese




I plan to make another batch of this for some friends and neighbors.  Add a cute little tag to the jar and you have a little gift for a loved one.  

Enjoy!


No comments