World Prematurity Day

Yesterday was World Prematurity Day.  I have blogged a bit about Emma being a preemie before.  But here is a little more about her =)


Never once did Brian or I imagine we would have a preemie.  In my mind the first few weeks I was pregnant with her I thought the sickness would go away eventually.  I didn't just have morning sickness, it was all day long.  My doctor assured me that around 12 weeks or so I should start feeling better.  Well, that didn't happen.  I remember all I wanted to do was just sleep or lay in bed all day.  I was so jealous of other pregnant women who were feeling great and had all this energy, and then there were the stories from people who would tell me how "perfect" their pregnancy was.  It got a bit old after a while.  So at 28 weeks, 09/11/2006, I had a routine checkup with my doctor.  After he was done I remember him sitting down next to me and saying, "This baby is coming today, or possibly in the next week".  Brian and I looked at each other and just bawled...well I cried and he just hugged me.  My doctor told me he wanted me to leave his office and head straight for the hospital to the labor and delivery floor and check in.  It was all so surreal.  Brian was absolutely amazing and made all the phone calls that needed to be made, to my work, my family and his family.  My first night there I had to share a room with another patient who happened to be an employee at the hospital that we were at and every nurse was in and out 1000 times during that day/night.  The next morning I requested a private room, and thankfully I got it.  

The sickness continued during my hospital stay and on 09/15/2006, my blood pressure skyrocketed to a number that was absolutely crazy and I developed the worst headache I have ever had in my entire life.  I remember the nurses coming in and wrapping the rails on my bed with pillows and blankets.  I looked at Brian wondering what in the heck they were doing.  The nurse informed me with my blood pressure as high as it was they were afraid I would start having seizures and they were wrapping the bed to protect me if I started to have them.  That afternoon they cut off all visitors to my room and I remember laying there with Brian in the complete darkness just crying.  Shortly after midnight on 09/16/2006 the nurse came in and told me that they doctor would be in in a couple of hours and they would make the decision then.  And then at 4am, the doctor and nurse came in and told me that today was the day.  I was scared out of my mind.  Shortly after 7, they whisked me away to the OR and began the c-section.

At 7:38am on 09/16/2006, our little miracle, Emma, was born.


She was tiny.  3 pounds.  I was not able to see or hold her until almost 7pm that night.  Almost 12 hours after I had her.  She was in the NICU, they were trying to control my blood pressure, and I had just had a c-section.  
I remember being wheeled into the NICU that night and holding her for the first time.  She was perfect and I remember being so scared to hold her.


I stayed in the hospital for a few days after having her, and I tell you there is *nothing* worse than being discharged without your baby.  It was the worst feeling ever.  We got home and there was this emptyness.  All of her stuff was out and waiting for her, but she wasn't with us.  But I was thankful that I still had my baby that I could visit until it was time to bring her home.
We were in the NICU for a little over a month and she came home with us when she was just 4 pounds.  It was crazy bringing such a small baby home, but she was healthy!!  

I'm thankful to every single Doctor and Nurse our hospital and NICU.  They are amazing amazing people.  I'm also extremely thankful for a healthy 9 year old now =)
Thinking of every parent out there that has spent time in the NICU or is still in the NICU with their baby or babies.