September 11th -Ten Years

It is hard to believe that today marks the 10th Anniversary of the September 11th, 2001 attacks on our country.  I remember the day vividly.  I was 19 years old, and working at a coffee shop.  I was out back in the kitchen and I remember someone running through the doors of the coffee shop saying that a plane had hit the World Trade Center.  My first thought was that this was just a small plane.  I ran over to the TV and there was the images of the Towers.  I immediately knew from the damage that it obviously was not some small plane.  We then witnessed the second plane hit the tower.  I was in complete shock and remember just being silent.  Then we learned of the Pentagon attack, and then the plane that went down in Pennsylvania.  I pray for the families, victims and everyone else effected by these attacks, and will never forget. 

I am now a mother to a little girl who will soon by 5.  How do you explain to them what happened on that day?  The past week images and videos of that day have been all over the television and magazines.  I have done the best I can to explain to Emma what happened.  This morning I asked Emma to draw me a picture of America and how she felt.  She saw a flag on a magazine and she began to draw it.  Here is her photo.